Free School Meals Update
1 April 2020
Dear Parents / Carers
If you are eligible for Free School Meals you will, or may already have, receive a text message from a company called WONDE asking which shop you would like to spend your voucher in.
After you have made a choice from the list provided, you will receive an email informing you that your vouchers will be with you in due course.
We have issued vouchers of £15. This equates to £3 per day for one week. This is more than the usual allowance but we feel that the amount is correct for this difficult period.
We were hoping the new Government National Free School Meals voucher scheme would be up and running but we have not received any details of it yet. The scheme should have been operational from Monday. In the meantime, we are using WONDE so that you are not disadvantaged by the delay with the National Scheme.
I have added some FAQs below. If you have any issues please let me now.
When do the vouchers expire?
Depending on the supermarket, vouchers expire between 12 months and 5 years after they're issued to your school. Vouchers are intended to be spent on food within a very short window (i.e. days/weeks).
What happens if the parent doesn't use the voucher?
The voucher retains it's value until it's expiration, however, parents are expected to use these vouchers within a very short window (i.e. days/weeks).
What supermarkets are available through this scheme?
Currently the supermarkets able to work with vouchers sent directly to parents (i.e. text message and/or email) are as follows:
Are there any restrictions on what the vouches can be used for?
Unfortunately at present retailers are unable to restrict what the vouchers are used for. It is expected that restrictions will follow in due course to help manage instances such as free school meals vouchers. As soon as this is available, it will be applied to all vouchers distributed through Wonde.
Order process and timescales ⏰
The process of ordering free school meals is, unfortunately, not that straight forward, but we've put together the below to help explain the best way we can.
Part 1 - Creating the order
- The school places an order on the Wonde platform for free school meals.
- The school then chooses their desired payment method (card payment instantly clears, bank payments clear once they have been reconciled).
- The school then assigns the vouchers to parents.
- Parents instantly receive a text, email or both from Wonde asking them to choose their preferred supermarket (i.e. Tesco, Asda, Morrisons or Sainsburys).
Part 2 - Sending vouchers to parents
- If the payment from the school is marked as successful, and parents assigned to that order have chosen their supermarket of choice before 12pm, Wonde will purchase relevant vouchers direct from the supermarket as a part of a daily bulk order.
- If the payment from the school is marked as successful, or parents chose their supermarket of choice after 12pm, Wonde will purchase the relevant vouchers the following day.
- On the day that vouchers are ordered, they are processed by the supermarket and then made available to Wonde. All vouchers are carefully loaded into the system where multiple checks are made before they're sent to parents.
- Vouchers are likely to be received by parents between 4pm and 10pm on the day of they're ordered by Wonde from the supermarkets.